I absolutely love my new 'pure-fume'! I get so many compliments too when I'm out & about saying I smell nice - which is always nice to hear! Other than just smelling gorgeous, there are quite a few health benefits as well to ditching the chemical fragrances - here are some facts for you...
- When you see the word 'fragrance' on the labels, this is a name companies can use for over 500 potential chemicals!
- Fragrances can also be found in air fresheners, cosmetics, fabric softeners, laundry detergents, candles, shampoos, soaps and many many other places. (I've got recipes for you in other blog posts to replace some of these too)
- Some of the most common chemicals in perfumes are ethanol, acetaldehyde, benzaldehyde, benzyl acetate, a-pinene, acetone, benzyl alcohol, ethyl acetate just to name a few.
- Read some scary news the other day about one of the chemicals, acetaldehyde, which is a probably human carcinogen - this was also found to cross the placenta to the fetus in animal studies! So for me having one daughter & another one on the way I've always tried to minimize what I can of toxin exposure to my children.
- Some other symptoms caused by the chemicals I mentioned above include:
- irritability, mental vagueness, muscle pain, asthma, bloating
- joint aches, sinus pain, fatigue, sore throat, eye irritation, gastrointestinal problems
- laryngitis, headaches, dizziness, swollen lymph nodes, spikes in blood pressure, coughing, and burning or itching skin irritations.
- Research has also confirmed that many of the ingredients in fragrances are neurotixins - this means they have a poisonous effect on the brain and our nervous system! Now this comes back to my background as a chiropractor, what we do on a daily basis is influence the nervous system with adjustments an we know how sensitive it is and the huge responsibilities it has in our body.
- Another effect of these fragrance ingredients is it can disrupt our natural hormonal balance, causing any number of possible emotional changes including anxiety, mood swings & depression! Feeling down?? It could be the perfume you're using!
So with all this in mind - why don't you join me in making your own "Pure-fumes", no nasties in there and you will smell like a goddess. (Or if you want to surprise your partners with their own blend, I will share one that we like as well).
All you need:
- A 30-50ml glass spritzer bottle or a 10ml roller bottle (I like the roller bottles in my bag so I can reapply when I want a little uplifting).
- Fractionated coconut oil
- DoTerra essential oils - my favorite combos:
- Whisper - this is the main one/base for my perfumes, it smells divine!
- Whisper, balance & wild orange (the orange adds an uplifting/happy layer)
- A note about citrus oils - don't apply to skin that will be exposed to the sun.
- Whisper & graperfruit
- Whisper, balance, white fir & lavender
- For the BOYS:
- White fir, balance, douglas fir.
- Sandalwood, white fir, bergamot, balance
- Cedarwood, bergamot, frankincense, white fir
Add the coconut oil to the glass bottle and combine the oils that you choose to use. Label it with a cute label so you know what you've used in case you create a killer-blend ;-) Enjoy ladies!!
Until next time...